Wednesday, July 14, 2004

Welcome to Public Service

Eric and I decided to go out for community service. It wasn't decreed by a judge. Eric is now one of two new members of Natick's Cultural Council, and I got named the Natick representative to the MBTA's Advisory Board.

At one point, when one of the selectmen was mentioning the state's "parsimonious" budget for the arts, I was reminded of the scene from "Waiting for Guffman" where Corky St. Clair goes in front of Blaine's town council and is, as we say here, wicked disappointed when he doesn't get the $10,000 he wants for his production, and ends up having a temper tantrum: "'cause you people are BASTARD PEOPLE!"

As for my position, I got the feeling I had just volunteered to spend a night in a house everyone swears isn't haunted, but finds convenient reasons not to enter themselves.

But this is POLITICS for the PEOPLE, man! We're in the game!

No comments: